Based on the syllabi issued by the American Society for Non-Destructive Testing (ASNT), ISO/TR25107 and the requirements of PCN, the course provides a thorough foundation for technicians, inspectors, and engineers called upon to witness, supervise, or conduct Ultrasonic Tests.
The course satisfies the formal training element of the Recommended Practice SNT-TC-1A issued by ASNT, ISO/TR25107 and the requirements of PCN, and hence is the basic foundation, which can lead to qualification under PCN, SNT-TC-1A, BS EN 4179 or NAS-410 requirements.
Practical aspects are emphasised by ensuring that the theoretical training is complemented with practical sessions concerning the calibration and use of Ultrasonic Flaw detectors using a variety of transducers.
Students are introduced to the variety of practical applications associated with ultrasonic testing, paving the way for further training in specific Techniques and Industry sectors.
Students are assessed for comprehension and progress during the course, via a structured series of both theoretical and practical phase assessments, which facilitate counselling and assistance where required. On request a formal end of course examination can be conducted.
The content of the course includes:
- Ultrasonic Principles, Frequency, Velocity, and Wavelength.
- Through Transmission and Pulse Echo Testing,
- Ultrasonic Equipment, Modes of Travel, Snells Law,
- Types and make up of Transducers, Couplants and Sound Energy
- Attenuation, Acoustic Impedance, Resonance
- Contact Scanning, Immersion Scanning, Data Presentation,
- Calibration Blocks, Types of discontinuities
(A full Syllabus can be supplied on request).
Lunch, refreshments and a full set of course notes will be provided during the course.